Pages

Monday, December 16, 2013

Final Blog Post, Overview

Now that the semester is over, I  have two story maps which are somewhat different then what I was planning at the beginning. My overall trip story map is what I thought it would be, since it is just pictures with captions of our trip. My fortifications story map was something I decided to do half way through the semester, given the quality and quantity of information I was able to collect. Initially I wanted to make a story map about the Battle of Verdun with battle lines and the like. But given my interest in the forts it quickly morphed into a story map concentrated on the forts instead. My first problem, which was pretty much everyone's problem, was getting ESRI story maps to work properly. After a couple days of tinkering with settings and index files, I was able to get templates not hosted by ESRI to work, which is what my fortifications story map uses. My next problem was finding pictures for all the forts and fieldworks, a couple of which no picture could be found. Other then those two problems it was relatively smooth sailing. I ended up only have two tabs instead of three on my fortifications story map, eliminating the WWI tab and dividing up that information into the ClassTrip Tab on the same story map and into my other trip story map. Given more time, I would continue to work on the Fortifications story map and add in the tab I was not able to include but overall I have happy with the results.

Trip Story Map
Fortification Story Map

No comments:

Post a Comment