Pages

Monday, November 4, 2013

Project Status Update 2

Looking through the templates, I found one I think might work well for the project I want to do. It is called the Storytelling Shortlist Template. This template has up to four tabs to click on that show different data on the map. Each tab is a separate CSV or shapefile. As it turns out this template is not available on ESRI's Cloud service so I need to download the source code and put that on a web server. I am not too sure if the folder Martin, UWEC's Geo Spatial Technician, set up for us is a web server or not, judging on the fact that it didn't work, I have to assume it is not. I made a couple sample CSVs called Forts and Stollens, added the CSVs to a webmap, downloaded the template and placed it in my folder on the space Martin set up for us, edited the Index.html (with textpad 7) to reflect the webmap I wanted to use......and all I got was the header bar on top of the page and nothing else. HERE is my webmap. Here are screenshots:

Readme file on left, index.html on right. I don't know what else to do.



The results.

So after failing with the Shortlist Template, I tried updating my first story map using the Storytelling Map Tour Template. Made a CSV for it and dragged it in. Everything worked fine, probably due to the fact that the template is offered on ESRI's cloud service and I didn't need to do anything with source code or edit any files. HERE is proof that it worked. I didn't really like the Map Tour look though and wanted to try the Storytelling Countdown Template. Though again this is another template I would have to download.

At this point I would like to mention that the Shortlist template had a 17 page readme file while the Countdown template has a 2 page readme file. So the chances of me figuring this one out is almost nil.

After making two web maps and adding in a CSV file to one of them (one and two) editing the config.js file, following directions to the best of my abilities, I get a never ending loading screen.

Extremely unhelpful readme file on the left, edited config.js on the right


The results

I know my CSV file skills are on par because the Map Tour Template worked just fine. I also made sure to publicly share all of my web maps. I have to believe I am doing something wrong with the placement of the templates on the web space, or that the web space set up for us is not the same thing as a web server.

Just for kicks I downloaded the Map Tour Template and tryed opening the Index file which should display the default view of the template and got this...


Tried following the directions, making a web map and editing index.html, blah blah blah, got the same screen. So something has to be up with hosting the templates because when I made the only story map that worked the template was hosted by ESRI not by my own web server.


Lastly, I made a thank you poster for Remi.

No comments:

Post a Comment