Pages

Sunday, November 17, 2013

Project Status Update 4

Using an ESRI story map template through our web server:

I will use the Shortlist template as an example because it is the one I am going to use for my project.

If the template is hosted by ESRI, you do not need to download the source code for the template to work. However, if you want to customize the template in more detail you can choose the download option when making a web application out of a web map.


If the template you want is not hosted by ESRI, navigate to this web address.

Find the Template you want and click the "Details and Download" option.





Once you are redirected click the "Download Source Code" option.




Once the zip file has downloaded extract it into a folder on our web server. It does not matter what the folder is called as long as you know what it is.Notice my location in the screenshot below. The most important files are the "Index.html" and the "Readme.pdf." Some templates have a more robust readme files then other. This readme file has 17 pages of information and walks you through all the information you will need to create a proper CSV and how to install and modify the template.



For the Shortlist Template, you need to create an ESRI webmap with up to four point files. Each point file corresponds to a tab on the template with the same name. The point files can be a shape or text file (CSV, TXT, GPX, etc). Heres my webmap: My example webmap
I used two CSV files for this example, "Forts.csv" and "Stollens.csv". As a result the final story map will show selectable tabs for "Forts" and "Stollens".

Taking a short detour on CSV files...make sure you include all the necessary column titles in your CSV that your chosen templates readme file instructs. You can add columns for Latitude and Longitude. Make sure if you are using pictures and/or thumbnails that you type in the full web address of the pictures located on our webserver and end the address with ".jpg".

In order for the template to display your webmap you need to edit the "Index.html" file. You will need to use a text editor, I downloaded Textpad 7. Once in the "Index.html" file find the Config Section and edit the WEBMAP_ID.


Replace the default ID number with your webmaps ID. Your webmaps ID number can be found at the end of its web address.






With your webmaps ID now in place go to your internet browser and type in the full address of the location of your template folder on our webserver. My location address is:
https://gis.uwec.edu/geog368Fall13/foxp/shortlist

Assuming you have made your CSV files or other shape/text files correctly, your storymap should load perfectly. Also make sure to "Enable Blocked Content" if your using Mozilla, "Load Unsafe Script" if using chrome, or if your using a different browers and can't see the storymap there is probably a setting worded close to the settings I just mentioned that you will need to change. Internet Explorer may not work at all.


Google Earth and CSVs


Using the Google Earth image from the website The Great War Fortifications in France..., Christina Holstien's book Walking Verdun, and what was already labeled on Google Earth, I marked all Forts, Ouvrages, and a couple Batteries around Verdun. Once I get the last couple books I have ordered, I will be able to nail down an exact list of all the places I will include in the final project. At the moment the two CSVs that I am sure I wil include are Forts and My Places (name subject to change). The Forts CSV will contain a picture and information about each fort around Verdun. The My Places CSV will contain pictures that I or my classmates took while in France. Other possible CSV files could be Ouvrages, Maps, Ghost Villages, and Forts of WWI.

No comments:

Post a Comment