Pages

Monday, November 25, 2013

Project Status Update 5

Project Overview (final):
My final project will be an ESRI Story Map about the Battle of Verdun and the fortifications of Verdun. I will use the shortlist template and will have at least 3 selectable tabs of data. As a result, I will need to make 3 separate CSV files: Forts.csv, WWI.csv, and Photographs.csv. The forts tab will show the location, a picture, and basic information about all 44 forts around Verdun. The WWI tab will show the location, a picture, and a couple paragraph explanation of each major event or battle associated with the Battle of Verdun in WWI. The Photographs tab (may be re-named) will show the location, photograph, and short description of pictures I or a classmate took in France during our trip overseas that relate to Verdun.

Update on Sources:
The Fortifications of Verdun 1874-1917 by Clayton Donnell
This is a fantastic source for my project and has provided almost all the information I will use for my Forts CSV. The book in itself is not very impressive in terms of size when compared to the other books I am using. However, it is jammed packed with diagrams, charts, maps, pictures, and incredibly interesting information about life and function of Verdun's fortification. I knew this was going to be a great resource immediately when I saw a timeline in the beginning of the book from the end of the Franco-Prussian War to the end of WWII, which is then followed by a map of all the forts with their relative construction period, which is then followed by a table listing every fort along with its construction date, modernization date, total cost, men, machine-gun turrets, 75mm turrets, 155mm turrets, and armored observations. Not only will this be useful for my project but also is of great interest to me on a personal note by learning more about the building and defense strategies of the forts.

Walking Verdun: A guide to the Battlefield by Christina Holstein
Each of Christina Holstein's books I own are chock-full of pictures, maps, and vivid yet concise stories of the Battle of Verdun. In Walking Verdun, each chapter is broken into two sections, The Events and The Walk. The Events section is a general overview of what took place during different key events in the Battle of Verdun chosen by Christian Holstein. The Walk section then details how the reader can walk from site to site and explains what the importance of what they see. I will use select information from the events sections of multiple chapters in my WWI CSV.

Fort Douaumont by Christina Holstein, and Fort Vaux by Christina Holstein
These books are similar to Walking Verdun, though they cover events surround one specific fort rather then the battle as a whole. With an outrageous number of pictures, maps, and interesting side stories, these books will make my WWI CSV quite robust in regards to events surrounding the Verdun fortifications. I am glad I have these books not only as a useful resource for my project but as a reminder of my favorite part of our trip (the forts) and of the amazing opportunity my class had in walking these forts with Christina Holstein in person.

Goals:
(this week)
-Review The Myth of the Great War by John Mosier, and The Price of Glory by Allistar Horne
-Use Christina Holstein's books to beginning writing desctiptions for my WWI CSV
-Locate the rest of the forts I have not found yet on Google Earth to finish my Forts CSV
-Find as many pictures as I can for my Forts and WWI CSVs
(following week)
-Read and Review Verdun: The Lost History of the Most Important Battle of WWI by John Mosier
-Finish writing descriptions for my WWI CSV
-Continue/Finish finding pictures for my Forts and WWI CSVs
(Lastly)
-Complete my Photograph CSV
-Finishing touches

No comments:

Post a Comment